Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Our Boys!!

Ok, so it happened. On November 28th, at 31 weeks and four days, I gave birth to Levi Ryan Harris and Caleb Ryan Harris. Here is my story. . . Thanksgiving was so much fun. There was a bit of planning to do for dinner and a couple of projects I wanted to finish at the house, so my mind was definitely sidetracked. Actually my mind has been so occupied lately with getting things settled in the house and all of the holidays, that I was still in amazement that I was actually pregnant at all let alone with twins. Sunday morning after Thanksgiving and all company was gone, I told Ryan something felt different and I wanted to get it checked out before he left that evening for four days. When we went in, the dr said I was not dilated but that my cervix was shortening. Not a big deal but, because I was pregnant with twins and still so early, he told me that he wanted me to go to the hospital and get my first dose of steroid shots to help the babies lungs development. I would be monitored for an hour to see if I was having contractions, then return in 24 hrs for my second dose of steroid shots. My mind was racing but I felt a calmness that everything was going to be ok. I was given the shot and monitored then sent home. The contractions were not consistent enough to keep me in the hospital. We went home, had some thanksgiving left overs and took it easy. We put the kids to bed and Ryan and I settled in for a quiet night on the sofa; him watching football and rubbing my feet :), and me laying there thinking of how I wanted to decorate the house for Christmas. We went to bed and I was casually timing my contractions on my phone. They were inconsistent but started to get painful. Then, they were 8 minutes apart one hour and 7 minutes apart the next. I looked at Ryan asleep next to me and decided to call the dr and see what he wanted me to do before I woke Ryan. My dr told me to go strait to the ER. I called Ryan's parents to come watch the girls while we went. By the time we were at the hospital it was about 1:15am. I cried at the front desk when the way too chipper receptionist that was slower than a snail, couldn't find the preregistration form I had filled out online and again the day before. My contractions were starting to hurt really bad by the time I was placed in a hospital bed. The nurse checked me, I was dilated to a 5. They rushed meds into me to try and stop the labor but only minutes later the dr arrived, I was at a 6. I couldn't believe what was happening and when I looked at Ryan who, only moments ago was sound asleep and oblivious to anything, looked shell shocked when they handed him his OR scrubs just in case of a c-section (both babies were feet down)I almost laughed . . . almost. They were trying to hold off the labor for at least 48 hours so I could get enough steroids in my body for the babies lungs to function better at birth. The dr checked me again and said he felt one of the babies feet. While the nurse was putting in the catheter, I felt a gush of water and knew my water had just broke. All heck broke loose, people started showing up telling Ryan to put his OR clothes on. Everyone had their game faces on and an emergency c-section was happening, ready or not. This is where it gets real. I am laying in the OR, holding Ryan's hand, looking at his face because, it's he only thing that wipes everything else away. My body is being opened and tugged on in every direction. I hear a babies cry and see Ryan's face light up. I quickly see a baby rushed by me as they announce Levi's arrival. Then it seemed like forever before they were pulling the second one out. When I saw Ryans face as they pulled Caleb out it didn't light up the same way. He looked at me and took my face in his hands and said "it's in the Lords hands now and we will get through this together". I couldn't see Caleb or hear a cry and maybe it was the drugs or maybe it was an angel around me but I felt a calmness. I was so frustrated I couldn't move or see anything but the fabric draped in front of my face. Ryan watched and told me Caleb was blue and not breathing. They were pressing on Caleb giving him shots and putting tubes down his throat. He was not stable but was after a lot of, work was taking in some oxygen. They wisked both babies away and I only saw two bundles of blanket fly past me. We felt a bit of relief when we were later told that both babies were stable but needed a lot of help from nurses, meds and machines. At that point, things were out of our hands and our prayers were with our new boys. Levi was born on 11/28/11 at 4:16 am, weighing in at 3lbs 6oz and 16.93in long. Caleb was born at 4:19am and weighing in at 3lbs 2oz and 15.75in long. It wasn't until about 2:00pm when I saw my boys again in the NICU. As my sons are laying in their little beds, hooked up to so many monitors, it remind me of my last goodbyes with my son Max. Not being able to hold him like I wanted, but holding his hand and kissing his warm cheek goodbye. Now, not being able to hold my new sons yet, but holding their tiny little hands and kissing them hello. We will never be able to replace our Max, but when I look at these boys, I am reminded of him and the gift from God that they are. Stay tuned for more living . . . *no access to a computer yet to send pictures, but wanted to get the great news out about our little boys. If someone knows how to transfer pics from iPhone to blog let me know, and I will put some up.

22 comments:

Harris Beach Bums said...

I guess when you do a blog post on your phone it doesn't let you do paragraphs, etc. Or it could be that I am not techy enough to figure it out. Oh well, hopefully you all understand it. I will update it when I get home. Hugs to everyone!

Ann said...

Love that you shared this from your hospital bed i phone. A very grateful Grammy has already had her cry for the day (-:

Jeri May said...

Bless you all-each and everyone!

Jeanine said...

Welcome welcome !! You are in our hearts and prayers . Love to you all

paula said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for your little family :)

Rachael said...

Congratulations! We are so happy for you guys! Hope to meet them someday soon!

KaDee said...

Sending love and congrats your way.

Ginger said...

Congratulations Leann! We are so excited for you and Ryan, and can't wait to see pictures of the boys.

Anonymous said...

Health, Happiness and Fantatic Holidays ahead. Congratulations on your family additions!

Ali said...

What a story, I read it with tears streaming down my face. I am soooo excited for you and your family. The girls are going to be in heaven, especially getting a baby for each of them. Congrats!! Our prayers are with you and the new little ones. I am glad Max was close by calming you through the delivery!!! love you guys!!

The Francis Family said...

I was dying to find out how the pregnancy was going. Imagine my surprise when I find out your boys are already here. We are so happy for you! Can't wait for more updates, but please rest up... If you can.

Harris Family said...

Thanks for sharing your story. We love your family and are so excited for the arrival of your new babies. We can't wait to hear more about them and see pictures. Congratulations!!

melissa said...

I've been thinking about you constantly. So good to hear the course of events directly from you! What an amazing story. You, the boys, and your family are in my prayers! Can't wait to meet them! Congratulations!

Ye Stewart Clan said...

Oh my goodness you've had your babies! Congratulations! I am so glad everything is okay.
Your family really is special and your husband sounds like such a blessing to you. I am so glad for you Leanne!

The Bishops said...

Congratulations you guys!!!!! So excited for you all. I'm glad the boys are doing better, we'll keep them in our prayers! Congrats!!!

Johanna Markworth said...

Congratulations! I too have twin boys, and they will truly bless your lives! Your girls are going to love it! Congrats again! Thanks for letting stop by and get a glimpse of your inspiring life!

Brittany said...

Congratulations Harris Family!! :) That is an amazing story!

Leanne, there is a Blogger app for iPhone that let's you add photos directly from your phone albums!

Deb said...

Love the post (you are an overachiever getting it up so quickly!) and so happy for the sweet little guys to join you! They were eager to get down to your family... I would be too! You guys are in our thoughts and prayers for swift recovery and to help those little guys grow grow grow! Hugs!!

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh Harris Family! Our thoughts & prayers are with you all! Those boys are fighters and will be home in no time at all!!!!!! Love to you..The Rose's

Tara Cluff Cutler said...

Leanne,
Suzy told me about your blog and I just found it...wow, Congratulations!!!! You are a wonder-woman, making it past 30 weeks is a huge mile-stone. I work in the NICU, your babes will be in good hands. You have provided such an incredible start for them, you listened to your body and got the steroids to help their lungs, what an amazing family these two boys are joining. Try to rest as much as you can, you have been through so much. You are in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!!!!! I am so happy for you guys! Can't wait to see your pictures!!!

ERK, MRK, & GRK said...

We have been thinking about you guys nonstop! Miss you and your amazing family!