Friday, March 25, 2011

The Rest of the Trip

The trip continues. . .

After Sevilla we made our way to Granada, but stopped in some really amazing places like Cadiz, where you can find dancing horses; and Gibraltar, home of the famous rock on the southwestern tip of Europe that has been taken over by Barbary Macaque monkeys. There's something about exploring new places, cultures and people that never gets old. Every time I'm traveling, at the airport or even just in a crowded place, I look around and am in awe at what God has created. I love nature but there's something about people that just draws me in. Just to look at people. . . 2 eyes, 2 ears, 1 nose, 1 mouth and yet everyone looks completely different.

It really is amazing.


Cadiz


pic from Royal Riding School



Rock of Gibralter



Granada was hillsides full of quaint little white homes with terra cotta rooftops and cobblestone streets. We explored the Alhambra castle and it's inspiring architecture and grounds.



Abby took this cute pic. I love the stache ; )


Kelli actually gagged when I took this picture of her parents kissing :) Nothing warms my heart more than true love. I love that it has the number 1 above the door.




OK, I loved Toledo! I love anything that has a bit of history in it. I am definitely NOT a history buff. I have to try my hardest to remember what war was when; I know pathetic, right? I don't look at a city and remember history lessons from the 6th grade, but it's almost like I can feel or sense the history when I'm there. Toledo is a place where you can feel the history seeping out of the cracks in the streets and the walls of almost every building. It's been populated since the Bronze Age (3300–1200 BC ), and you can see it from the way the City is laid out, to the materials used in the old town buildings.


"View of Toledo" by resident El Greco 1608


Toledo is known for its metal craftsmanship. They've been doing it since Roman times. Jared pointed us in the right direction to the most authentic sword shop in town. It was tucked away, almost hidden, but we found it! The owner had been taught by his father, and his father was taught by his father, etc. He was a genuine guy and really proud to show us around his humble shop.

Check out his missing fingers! That's the real deal.


We couldn't leave Toledo without a couple swords for the boys made from our new friend.
America never tasted so good




Happy Birthday Jared! Thanks for planning such a great trip.




We brought in the New Year in the beautiful city of Granada and enjoyed some festivities in Madrid.






Stay tuned for more living . . .

2 comments:

Ann said...

Beautiful photography! I love your way of capturing memories like art.

Megs said...

this whole trip looks so amazing! thanks for posting all the beautiful pictures!