Saturday, September 4, 2010

Tasmania

I think the toughness I carried as a girl in the Idaho winters melted away the day I moved to California, because I was freezing in Tasmania!
We flew into Hobart, which is the south end of the island of Tasmania and home to Mount Wellington, or as the aboriginals would say, Unghbanyahletta. It's a 20 minute, 4,000 ft drive to the top where panoramic views of the Derwent River, Tasman Sea and Hobart Harbour are spectacular. The air was definitely refreshingly crisp, tinted with the smell of the busy harbour. We toured the mountains and Hobart City by car, foot and by bus, warmed our bellies with the grilled catch of the day and tickled our taste buds with amazing Tasmanian chocolates.

view from our flat






We booked an amazing 2 bedroom serviced apartment in the art district of downtown Hobart. It was stunning, but as I walked through the modern architecture, down the stairs, passed the master bedroom, the bathroom, the girls room, there it was,. . . a third bedroom. It was small and cozy, in it was an inviting single bed with an accompanying side table and reading lamp. The comforter was turned down and the pillows fluffed. The only problem was Max wasn't there to occupy it. With the sinking reminder of Max's absence, I sat on the new carpet, with my head in my hands and cried. I could just see it, Max in the bed, reading into the night trying to block out the girls chatter and squeals with the latest adventure of Alex Rider or Indiana Jones. He would be bright eyed and smiling up at me as I walked into the room to kiss him goodnight and tell him I loved him, because that's what would happen every night.

What do I do with this? What do I do with an empty bed and an empty space in my heart? What does anyone do when they don't know what to do? They pray, and that's simply what I did. I remembered reading that someone once said "A blessing is anything that moves you closer to God". I prayed that this trial would be a blessing in my life.



We drove to the top of Mount Wellington and played in the snow, the girls loved it, then drove to the beach where Ryan surfed. You can tell by looking at Ryan's face he was painfully cold. Surf in freezing cold water in Tasmania, why not?







Enough said . . .



Stay tuned for more living


15 comments:

Ann said...

Chocolate is cheaper than....has been our motto for years. Loved this post. Thanks for sharing your heart.

Kimberly said...

Love you.

david said...

Can I borrow your camera some time? It seems to take much better photos than mine :-). I have a feeling the number of people reading your blog has gone through the roof. As you bravely open your heart and share your painful struggle through this trial, you are strengthening all of us to better handle ours. I'm so grateful for you!

Nathan said...

Thanks for sharing Leanne.

The Bishops said...

You are amazing Leanne, what a strength you have even when you might feel the weakest. So good to see you this weekend...living...dancing the night away with your girls. We Love You guys!

Megs said...

there's always chocolate :)

thank you for continuing to bless all our lives.

jbel said...

ah chocolate, the catch-all cure.

I'm grateful for your faith in God. It is inspiring.

Meiken said...

tears.
thanks for sharing. you continue to amaze and uplift.

Annalisa said...

hugs.

Christina said...

It's those quiet moments alone when your heart aches...your are so close to HF. You are right-the only thing we can do is pray for strength. I cant even imagine seeing that third bedroom. I think you are wonderful for stepping into it--and creating a memory in your mind of Max being there. You will be blessed for your ability to stay the course and keep moving forward. It must be unbearably painful. Some days good, some days hard.
We continue to think of your family. You both are blessing the lives of so many!

Dana said...

Hi Leanne,
Your strength and faith is and will help others in this world. I have been reading your blog, you are one amazing lady. Your family is beautiful.
Love,
Dana

Debra said...

YOUR FAMILIES SMILES ARE AMAZING! THANK YOU for continuing to live and inspire the rest of us!

cheryl said...

I'm not sure if you remember me (we met earlier this year) but I have wanted to tell you since the moment I knew- that I am so sorry for your loss. I have been thinking of you and your family and keeping you in my prayers. You are so brave to open up your heart with everyone and your strength amazes me! Your blog is so inspirational and you have such a beautiful way with words.

Maureen Anne Arthur Olsen said...

Leanne, having grown up in Australia like your mum, I have never been to Tasmania. It always seemed so cold, now I am convinced of it after watching Ryan getting out of the surf! Brrrr!!! Leanne I know you would sacrifice everything in the world to have Max back. I know that. The Lord knows that. As hard as this is for you all, I cannot help but catch a glimpse from your comments when you found the 3rd bedroom and your prayer. I am not sure how this is a blessing in your life - what I do know is that you are a blessing in so many other lives at this time. You have taken the most horrible situation a parent can ever be faced with and working your darling little heart out to make sense of it all, and in the process, you are helping so many. I love you Leanne and so grateful for your family in my life. Your mum and dad faced their Gethsemane with the death of Susie and what a blessing they are to you and Ryan and the girls.Keep praying sweet girl.

Anonymous said...

Leanne,
I have no words. I cry as I picture that bed and the lamp and the Mom, heart aching, sitting on the floor with her head in her hands crying and praying. My own heart hurts at the very thought. Thanks for allowing us this glimps into a place in your heart that is, certinally very personal.
--May you find those blessings even in this struggle. They can never make up for this loss but perhaps give you the strength to continue.