Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Team East and West



Last year Jason (my bro-in-law [Ryan's brother]) and I decided to do an Adventure Race. We didn't totally know what it entailed, but it sounded really fun!
Sept 25th, we packed up the kids and flew to North Carolina to meet up with Jason's family, and to race the next morning. After a red eye flight with kids, the early race start of 4am (1am CA time) and recovering from bronchitis and a sinus infection, I was definitely not 100%. But when we started the race I was so excited I felt awesome!



The race is done by map and compass, no specified trails or paths. You have to navigate your way to the finish and collect points by finding a series of checkpoints. The check points are given to you in latitude and longitude before the race and you have to graph out your own course.


Orientation at starting point. Here we go!


I snapped this shot during the 20 mile kayak.





At one point we crossed paths with this team. They tried to lead us in the wrong direction, but Jason the "King of the Map" couldn't be swayed. Game on!





We had to portage our kayak up and around this dam.

Team East and West

We trained.
We raced.
We Won!
For the twelve hour race, we finished at 11hrs and 50 mins.
First place in the co-ed division and 2nd place overall, yes, we did beat the team of tough guys from Fort Bragg who were trying to get us lost.
It rained almost the entire time, and I felt like a soggy rat. But, I loved every minute of it!
Thank you Jason for being the perfect AR partner.
And thank you Ryan and Randy for being an awesome support crew!

14 comments:

Ann said...

You made us PROUD!

Kimberly said...

Love how you cropped the dam picture.

You guys are amazing. You deserved to win after all the time and training and planning you put into it. Looking forward to the next one!!!

*megan said...

That looked like fun! I love the whole concept... took brains and buffness. Can't believe it was nearly 12 hrs... that part doesn't sound too fun. Great job you 2!

Rachel said...

I just don't even know how to respond to this blog entry. I ran out of breath just reading about your adventure. I'd like to say it is because I am seven months pregnant, but no, I'm sure I would feel the same otherwise. But, seriously, congratulations. You guys are amazing to be able to complete something like that, let alone do so well!

Emily Parks said...

That's awesome.

Freddy and Mandy said...

Lady... you are my hero! What an amazing experience for you!

Katie Waldron said...

YOU WON!!!! I wouldn't expect anything less!! You are incredible. What an amazing & rewarding accomplishment. You are my hero L! See you FRIDAY- VIVA EL SALVADOR!! Love you!

The Francis Family said...

What a fun thing to attempt - even better to beat Fort Bragg tough guys. You are in amazing shape!

Matt said...

how fun! I thought we were cool when we did the OC mud run, but this race takes the cake!!

Kyle and Whitney said...

That is awesome! Good for you.

Kyle and Whitney said...

That is awesome! Good for you.

Annalisa said...

amazing. great job!!!

(ps, i'm emily's sister)

Brittany said...

Look at you! Amazing! It was so fun meeting you the other night.
Let me know if you are going to have a party for the next twilight movie. I want to be apart of that!

misty said...

Wow!! You're amazing!! Congratulations!