Monday, October 27, 2008

Halloween Carnival

I remember being 8 years old and had just finished my Halloween costume masterpiece. It was a gigantic Kleenex box. I had covered a big box with wallpaper, cut holes for the head and arms, and cut a slit in the front that had tissue coming out of it. I had even painted the Kleenex logo on the side. It was perfect! My masterpiece had been completed and I was about to dazzle the world with my costume designing skills. My friends and a dad picked me up and as everyone in the car was complimenting me on my work I realized I couldn't fit in the car! I had to walk next to the car as it drove from house to house. Mind you I grew up in Idaho where houses were sparse and it was really cold that time of year. Even though I was mortified walking along side the car I still felt glorious in my home made Kleenex box costume. Now I get to do it all over again with my kids. Max is really into it and somehow comes up with the most complicated and challenging of costumes. Abby's costume choices are a bit more simple and she gets really excited that we design and make it ourselves. Charlie . . . well, I think I started about 4 different costumes this year and she ended up wearing her PJ's that had a skeleton on it, go figure. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against store bought costumes in the least. As a matter of fact as I was sewing at three in the morning I thought to myself... why didn't I just go to Target! But when I saw Max at the school carnival and kids were asking to take pictures with him in his Lego mini fig costume, I could tell he felt as good as I did in my Kleenex box.




The videos make everything tall and skinny but you get the idea. :)

11 comments:

Derek & Katie Waldron said...

LOVE IT! I love how Charlie keeps saying "Hi Lego Guy" on the video. That costume is amazing. CUTE CUTE CUTE. Miss you guys.

Ann said...

Leanne...will you ever cease to amaze me with your creative skills. That costume is too cute. I'm hoping to see it in person in Vegas...Halloween night!

Em N. said...

AMAZING!!!

Kliss said...

All I can say is WOW!

*megan said...

How in the world Leanne?? I'm still trying to figure out how you did that.

Kimberly said...

Okay, coolest costume ever. You are amazing!

We (the kids) aren't allowed to wear any kind of mask at school or at church. That's my excuse for why my kids' costumes aren't as cool as Max's.

andrewanderinn said...

Leanne, will you make my costume??!! Your amazing! I knew Max wanted to be a lego guy but I had no idea how you'd do it. Well done!

PapaRandy said...

Very Impressive! Can't wait to see all of you this weekend!

Ashley said...

How in the world did you make the head? That is seriously amazing. Does Max know how good he has it? The post was great. I love picturing you walking next to the car in your kleenex box. So funny!

ERK and MRK said...

So Darling!!! What fun, you are one cute little mother!

Rachel said...

I had a similar experience in 7th grade when I made my own costume. I was a die (singular for dice). I took a huge box and painted it white with perfect black circles on each side. I was seriously the coolest person in the world. THat is, until I got to school and realized not only do people no longer dress up for Halloween in 7th grade, but they also dressed sexy. Apparently, a huge box costume really wasn't that cool.