Thursday, May 1, 2008

El Salvador

We just got back from a great trip to El Salvador. My wonderful parents flew in to watch the kids and we flew out the day of our 11th anniversary, which I completely forgot about! Even when my mother in law sent me an e-card I thought. . . oh that's so nice, she must have sent it early because we were going to be out of the country. Then later, I came home to the biggest bouquet of lilies(my favorite flower) I have ever seen and thought, wow who sent us flowers?! I finally read the really sweet card from Ryan and remembered it was our anniversary. Ryan for sure gets a free pass if he forgets something.

This is a picture of the lilies a week later and I had just given about 5 stems away to a friend. They are beautiful!


Ryan surprised me and we flew first class. Our flight left at 1:30am and was a five hour flight, we then took a shuttle ride (El Salvadorian in a mini van) that was about two and a half hours long. Before we left I had only heard that it's not the safest place to go. Ryan assured me we were going to a safe area and that we would always have a chaperon or guard with us. Sounds good to me, let's go have an adventure!


This is what we saw on our drive to Las Flores. The closer we got the more beautiful it became.








The view from the hotel pool.


View from hot tub.


Las Flores Guard.


The view from our room. Pretty convenient to check the surf.



5:30 am boat trips to secluded surf spot. Check out the guy asleep in the boat behind us.





Ryan had a great time surfing. It was hard for me to see him burning all those calories while I sat there on the boat and got tan. Oh wait, no it wasn't.



Yes, she is massaging my gluteus maximus and it felt great! Through that opening in the curtain is a full ocean view. It was so relaxing I had to get two.


Ryan walking out from his massage. Does he look relaxed or what!



The food was amazing. Every meal had three courses and was beautiful.


It was fun to try the local food.


Ryan was finding all sorts of sea life in his soup!



postres, yum!


This guy climbed up the tree barefoot with a machete and started chopping off coconuts. As he was coming down with a rope, he saw us looking and flipped upside down and started screaming. When he got down he gave us a big toothless smile.


I took video but didn't take a picture of this. . . a bunch of local kids would get together and play soccer here on the beach. When they would get too hot they just jumped in the water. It was really cool to see how little the people had and how happy they were.


We had a great trip!


After a long trip home we finally arrived at 3:00 am and slipped into bed. At approximately 3:30 am Abby came into bed with us and one by one all five of us were in bed together. It couldn't have been better.

12 comments:

PapaRandy said...

What an adventure you both had! I enjoyed the whole story with all the pics.

Ann said...

I have anxiously been waiting for news of your trip. The pictorial journal was great. I'm thankful you had a wonderful time and that you are back home safe.

Emily said...

Happy anniversary! Looks like a fabulous trip.

ERK & MRK said...

Wow what an adventure! Looks like you guys had lots of fun :)

Whitney and Kyle said...

Happy Anniversary! What a sweet vacation. We love you guys and hope to see you soon!

Kliss said...

I am glad that I am not the only woman who forgets her wedding anniversary. (Don't tell Matt). What a great way to celebrate!

*megan said...

Loved all the pictures! I can't believe you forgot your anniversary?! I thought that trip was an "Anniversary Trip". Well, I don't really have to wish you happy anniversary because it looks like it was happy!

Steph said...

Que linda! (That's all I can do in Spanish) What a fun adventure.

Kimberly said...

Looks so fun! I had to laugh at the 5:30 am boat trip. Jason always makes us get up earlier on vacation than we do at home. Luckily it ends up being something worth getting out of bed for. Happy anniversary!

Celine & Cameron said...

Your trip looks like so much fun! Sounds like you guys had a great time!

Nathan said...

I need to work on fitting surfing into our anniversary celebrations.

Ang said...

Loved your log of the trip. Made me feel like I was there. Happy Anniversary.